Cobh Water Supply Co Cork
Construction of a 2100m3 capacity reinforced concrete water tower
Value : € 1,500,000
Start Date : Febuary 1999
Completion Date : April 2000
RPS - M.C.O'Sullivan Consulting Engineers, Ballincollig Co Cork Tel: 021-4870200 Fax:021-4873742
This project involved the construction of a 2100m3 capacity reinforced concrete water tower and associated works. The outstanding feature of this project is the champagne glass shaped water tower. The Tension from bowel to stem is graceful curve; in addition a curved ring beam leads smoothly from the bowl to the domed roof. Emphasising the structures slenderness, 20vertical ribs were placed around the stem running up the ring beam.
- 15m diameter cylindrical reinforced concrete foundation 3m thick.
- Stringent control measures to prevent excessive thermal gradients occurring due to the heat of hydration.
- Sorensen designed & erected the specialist for this complicated structure.
- Supporting overhanging formwork to the underside of the bowl.
- Working at heights up to 55meters.
- The Safety implications of this project were a major consideration.
- Installation & commissioning of large diameter water pumps.
- Industrial & Pharmaceutical (4)
- Roads (4)
- Drainage (15)
- Design & Build (5)
- Landfill (4)
- Retail (9)
- Public Buildings (9)
- Hospitality (4)
- Fitout & Refurbishment (1)
- Residential (6)
- Urban Regeneration (2)
- Warehousing (3)
- Bridges (2)
- Business Parks (4)
- Marine (6)
- Tunnels (4)
- Water Mains (6)
- Healthcare (4)
Sorensen Civil Eng. Ltd, Forge Hill Cross, Kinsale Road, Cork, Ireland
Tel: (Intl) +353 (0)21 4968917
Fax: (Intl) + 353 (0)21 4965544